I must admit that I rarely meet a pasta dish that I dislike, and I love cheese. This is basically a fancy white cheese macaroni and cheese-but it is AMAZING. C.J. and I both enjoy this pasta.
If you love pasta I encourage you to try this dish!
It is not necessarily a quick fix, but you can prepare it and cook it in under an hour. It is very filling as well.
A few disclaimers:
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1½ cups milk
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup shredded or cubed Gruyere cheese
- ¼ cup shredded or cubed Pecorino Romano cheese
- ¾ cup shredded or cubed sharp white cheddar cheese
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup Panko bread crumbs
- Bring a large pot of water to boil, then add pasta and cook until al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat, then cook the onions until tender.
- In a separate saucepan, melt the butter and add the salt and flour. Stir well.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Add the milk and heat until bubbles begin to form, stirring occasionally.
- Add the onion and cheeses, and continue to stir over low heat with a whisk until the sauce thickens.
- Transfer pasta to a greased or non-stick medium sized baking pan (a 9×9 inch or a 9 inch round will work), and pour sauce over.
- Top with Panko breadcrumbs, and bake for 25 minutes.