Broccoli and cheddar soup is one of my favorite soups. I almost always order it when I am at Panera or McAlester’s. It doesn’t matter what time of day or year it is–I can always go for a bowl of this yummy soup.
I have been on the search for a yummy broccoli and cheddar soup recipe that is both delicious and somewhat healthy. I have come across different mixes that require condensed milk and velveeta, but I wanted something less processed.
Finally, I think I have found my go-to broccoli and cheddar soup recipe!
It is super easy, but does take a bout an hour or so to make. I wouldn’t call it a “Copy-Cat” Panera broccoli and cheddar soup, but it is delicious and if you make it at home you can get “free” refills. That has to count for something.
- 2 bunches broccoli; cut into small florets
- 1/2 medium onion; chopped
- 2 carrots; julienned (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup butter; melted
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese; shredded or cubed
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Saute onion in 1 tbsp of melted butter until transparent.
- In a separate pot, make a roux using remainder of melted butter and 1/4 cup flour. Cook approx. 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Slowly add in half and half, continue stirring.
- Add in chicken stock, stir and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add in broccoli florets, carrots and sauteed onions. Let cook for another 25 minutes over low heat.
- Stir in cheese until melted, add nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste.