This is a recipe for pet treats. Nothing in the recipe will hurt a human, but it is for dogs.
Jawok, our basset hound mix, has been with us for two years. We adopted her from animal welfare. She was our first puppy and has grown to be part of the family. She has also grown A LOT in size. When we adopted her we were living in a small upstairs apartment. One of our concerns during the adoption process was that we didn’t want a massive dog. The staff at the shelter reassured us that Jawok would only get to be about 30 pounds. She weighed 80 at her 6 month vet appointment.
January 28, 2012
We affectionately call her our “Little Linebacker.” She is big and has a mean bark, but she is the most loving and silly dog I have ever seen.
For her two year anniversary date we made some homemade treats for her. She loved them!
- 2 cups water
- 1 banana, mashed
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 4 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Lightly grease 1 large baking sheet.
- Combine water, mashed bananas, honey, vanilla, and egg in a large bowl.
- Stir in whole-wheat flour.
- Beat dough with an electric mixer on medium speed until ingredients are thoroughly combined, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Spread the dough onto baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven until lightly browned, about 20 minutes.
- Turn off the oven and leave to dry and cool, 40 minutes to an hour.
- Remove baking sheet from oven and allow to cool on pan for 10 minutes. Cut bars and transfer to wire rack to fully cool.
Hope your fur friends enjoy!