These tea cakes are one of my favorite treats to bake. They are perfect for morning, afternoon, and evening, and taste best when accompanied by a hot beverage. I prefer hot chocolate or tea.
With the exception of walnuts, I typically have the ingredients for this dessert on hand. In the past I have experimented with different ingredients in place of the walnuts. This recipe is a great base recipe.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar for decoration
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In a medium bowl, cream butter and vanilla until smooth. Combine the 6 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar and flour; stir into the butter mixture until just blended. Mix in the chopped walnuts. Roll dough into 1 inch balls, and place them 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes in the preheated oven. When cool, roll in remaining confectioners’ sugar. I also like to roll mine in the sugar a second time.