A week or so ago I got home from a conference that my office hosts for students across the state. It was an intense couple of days with little sleep and I returned home completely exhausted. C.J. was out of town and I immediately went to take a nap.
Naps usually make me cranky, but I needed this one. I woke up around 7:30 pm…yes, I took an evening nap. Shame on me.
I sat down on the couch, still in my tired daze and watched a show on hulu and ate a few little chocolates I had picked up in Tulsa that afternoon. I was completely unproductive the rest of the evening but around 11 or so I realized that I needed to eat something. Ice cream came to mind, but that would not have been very responsible. I had already taken the evening nap, so I was treading on thin ice in the “responsible” category.
Not wanting to get out and eat fast food, I went to the the kitchen. No leftovers. I pondered what I cook whip up relatively quickly without getting into the groceries set aside for the already planned meals. I had some uncooked pasta left over from a recent recipe and we almost always have frozen spinach in the freezer.
The rest of the ingredients? Garlic, butter, lemon juice, and salt. I can’t think of a time that I allowed the house to be without these items.
This recipe is for 1-2 people, adjust the ingredients as needed. I also believe that I made all of this in about 7-10 minutes.
- 2 cups uncooked pasta
- 1/2 cup frozen spinach (feel free to use more or less)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- Salt to taste
- Mozzarella (optional)
- Add water to a small pot and heat to boiling. Salt water.
- Add pasta and spinach. Turn heat down to medium or medium low and cover pot.
- When pasta is tender spinach is cooked, drain in colander. Spinach retains a lot of water, so be sure to squeeze the water out of it.
- Add butter, garlic, salt, and lemon juice. Mix, let butter melt, and season to taste.
- Serve with mozzarella on top, if desired.