By now the Cavin’s obsession with risotto should not be a surprise. We try almost every recipe we come across and order it every chance we get.
The bacon craze is also alive at our house. C.J. loves bacon and everything bacon related….so this recipe was absolutely perfect.
Risotto. Bacon….and White Cheddar…perfection.
- 6 slices of bacon, cut into pieces
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 6 cups of stock or broth
- Splash of olive oil
- 12 oz arborio rice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded sharp white cheddar
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Pepper, to taste
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- In a large skillet, cook and brown bacon slices. Remove from skillet and place on a paper lined plate. Set aside. Add onions to same skillet and cook in bacon fat. Cook low and slow to caramelize onions. This will take 20-30 minutes. Add a little water if the skillet gets dry. When onions are brown, remove from heat and place on a plate. Set aside.
- In a sauce pan, bring stock or broth to a boil. Lower heat to low and cover with a lid.
- In the same skillet used for bacon and onions, add a splash of olive oil, rice and garlic. Stir until rice turns a light brown.
- Using a ladle at a time, pour warmed stock/broth into the rice skillet. Stir until all liquid is absorbed. Repeat this step until rice is cooked to al dente. (can take up to 30 minutes.) If you run out of stock/broth, just add warm water.
- When the risotto is cooked, add cream and cheese. Stir until the cheese melts and is well combined. Add the onions and bacon to the skillet. Stir into the risotto.
- Taste and add pepper. Serve warm.