Although school is out and summer seems like it might offer some relaxation, we are typically very busy. This year is just as busy as most summers…times ten.
Salads are perfect for busy evenings and this salad was so delicious!
C.J. is a picky eater and so when we make salads like this, I will typically have all of the ingredients ready to assemble, instead of mixing the salad for both of us. I follow the recipe when layering my salad, and he will pick and choose.
We both LOVED this salad. C.J. is not a fan of feta, so he used fresh mozzarella on his salad. He said is was good. I love feta, so I used it.
The vinaigrette is easy to make and brings the ingredients together in a delicious way.
- 1 3/4 lbs cooked chicken breasts, diced into strips* (about 3 chicken breasts)
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and diced
- 3 medium apples, sliced
- 3/4 cup chopped, toasted or candied walnuts
- 7 – 9 oz spring mix & spinach lettuce blend
- 6 oz crumbled feta
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 1/2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp honey
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped shallot
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Layer all salad ingredients into individual salad bowls or over plates. Serve drizzled with balsamic vinaigrette.
For the balsamic vinaigrette:
Add olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, dijon mustard, and finely diced shallot to a blender. Season with salt and pepper to taste and blend mixture until well emulsified and thickened slightly. Store in refrigerator in an airtight container.