One of my favorite dishes to order at comfort food restaurants is spicy bacon mac and cheese. It is usually labeled “adult” mac and cheese…because I suppose that children aren’t allowed to eat bacon.
I’m kidding…sort of.
Anyways, I was delighted to find this recipe. It makes a lot…so be prepared to feed a lot of people or to have a lot of leftovers.
It is really delicious and is fairly spicy. I am such a baby when it come sot spicy food though…so don’t judge it based on that.
- 8 strips bacon, cooked
- 1 medium to large white or yellow onion, diced
- 1 head garlic, minced
- 16 oz pasta
- 6 Tbsp butter – divided 2 Tbsp and 4 Tbsp
- 7 Tbsp flour
- 3 Cups milk
- 2 tsp chipotle pepper powder
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 1 lb (16 oz) freshly grated cheese (I use equal parts Extra Sharp Cheddar, White Sharp Cheddar and Pepper Jack)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Cup panko bread crumbs
- handful of cooked bacon and roasted poblano peppers
- Cook bacon
- READ AND MEASURE OUT ALL INGREDIENTS
- While the bacon is cooling, chop and mince the onions and garlic
- Chop the bacon, and set a small amount to the side for the topping
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 2 Tbsp butter, add in the onions and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions begin to soften and is fragrant.
- While this is cooking start a large pot of water boiling for your pasta
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions – drain, cover and set to the side
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt the 4 Tbsp butter. Once the butter is melted, slowly start adding in the flour – whisking well with each addition to eliminate any clumps. Once all the flour has been incorporated it’s time to slowly add the milk and spices (chipotle powder, ground mustard, pepper and salt) – whisking the entire time. Cook about 8 or 9 minutes, until the sauce thickens, stirring the entire time
- Once the sauce has thickened, add the cheese a handful at a time and stir until completely melted and the sauce is creamy.
- Add in the onion, garlic, bacon and stir until fully incorporated.
- Pour the pasta into the pot with the sauce and stir to fully coat
- Preheat the oven to 375° F
- Pull out your largest oven safe skillet – baking dish or cast iron skillet and pour the ‘mac’ and cheese mixture into this.
- Melt 1 Tbsp butter in a microwave safe dish, add in 1 C panko and stir to mix.
- Place this evenly over the pasta mixture and sprinkle the reserved bacon evenly across the top
- Place in the oven to bake for 10 – 15 minutes – or until the cheese is bubbly and the top a crispy golden brown.
- Serve immediately.