Disclaimer: This is not a recipe…it is a way to jazz up muffin-mix muffins.
I wanted to take some muffins to our Sunday School class this last Sunday…so I grabbed some muffin mix at the store. Honestly, I have not found a from scratch muffin recipe that I am crazy about. The mixes are, of course, very easy and they aren’t expensive at all.
I brought home a chocolate chip mix and a blueberry cheesecake mix.
It was the kind where you just add milk, mix, and bake.
I followed all the instructions for both recipes, adding extra dark chocolate chips to the chocolate chip mix. I planned on adding fresh blueberries to the blueberry muffin mix, but could not find appropriate blueberries.
For the blueberry muffins I added a cinnamon walnut streusel. You just sprinkle it on the muffins before baking.
Bake the muffins according to the instructions on the package.
After the chocolate chips muffins were cooled, I dips each of the tops in a dark chocolate ganache and then sprinkled each with a Milano cookie crumble.
Both muffins were a hit and they looked so tasty that no one even asked if they were homemade or from a mix!
Cinnamon Walnut Streusel Topping
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- crushed walnuts
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
Mix together to form a crumble. Sprinkle on the top of each muffin mix in the pan before baking.
Dark Chocolate Ganache
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate or dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 tbsp powdered sugar
- Place chocolate, cream, and sugar in a small pot.
- Stirring constantly, heat on low to medium heat until everything is melted and combined. Stir until smooth. Do not burn the chocolate!
- Dip cooled muffin tops into ganache. Sprinkle with cookie crumble. (I used Milano cookies)