Let me start this post by saying that I have absolutely no idea why this dish is called “porcupines”…it is a dish of beef, rice, tomatoes, and cheese.
No road kill in my kitchen!
This meal is simple and delicious. It is as close to Tex-Mex or Mexican food that I can make for C.J. (he doesn’t like those genres of food).
After making this, I can see a lot of different ways that you could change the recipe with add-ins and different seasonings and cheeses.
Let me know what you think!
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 pkg. dry onion soup mix
- 1 1/2 c. hot water
- 3/4 c. uncooked rice
- 1 (16 oz) can tomatoes
- 1 c. shredded cheese (I used sharp cheddar)
- In a large skillet, crumble beef and brown.
- Drain and stir in onion soup mix, water, tomatoes (optional mushrooms).
- Add rice and stir.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 25 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Sprinkle with cheese, melt and serve.