Happy “First Day of Spring”!
What better way to celebrate the first day of spring than with an easy and colorful baked chicken dish? The lemon on this dish is perfect for a spring day…or any day.
This meal got great reviews from C.J. and his sisters and it was super easy!
Do you have a dish that would be god for celebrating the first day of spring?
- 2 (8 oz) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed, halved horizontally*, and pounded to 1/2-inch thick
- 2 oz shredded Whole Milk Mozzarella cheese (1/2 cup)
- 2 oz shredded Provolone cheese (1/2 cup)
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 oz finely shredded Romano cheese (1/2 cup)
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- Zest of 1 lemon (2 tsp)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Lemon slices or wedges for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sprinkle each side of the chicken cutlet lightly with salt (about 1/16 tsp per each side), let stand at room temperature 20 minutes. Combine Mozzarella and Provolone cheese in a bowl, set aside.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together flour and egg until smooth. In a separate shallow dish, toss together Panko bread crumbs, Romano cheese, oregano, lemon zest, garlic powder and 1/4 tsp pepper. Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Working with 1 chicken cutlet at a time, dredge chicken in egg mixture coating both sides and allowing excess to run off, then immediately transfer to Romano mixture and coat both sides with mixture, while pressing gently to allow crumbs to adhere. Transfer chicken to a plate and repeat process with remaining chicken cutlets. Pour 2 1/2 Tbsp olive oil and vegetable oil into a 10-inch non-stick skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot, add 2 coated chicken cutlets and fry without moving them until bottom is crispy and golden brown, about 2 minutes, then using metal tongs rotate to opposite side and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes longer. Transfer fried chicken to a large plate lined with paper towels to drain. Repeat process with remaining 2 pieces of chicken.
- Place cutlets on rimmed baking sheet, sprinkle tops with Mozzaralle cheese mixture and transfer to preheated oven to bake until internal temperature registers 165 degrees on an instant read thermometor, about 12 minutes (you can broil during the last 1 – 2 minutes if desired). Remove from oven and garnish with lemon slices or wedges, serve warm. Squeeze fresh lemon juice from lemon slices over chicken just before serving.