- 12 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
- 11 ounces caramel bits (or 11 ounces caramel squares, unwrapped)
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- sea salt, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 325. Prepare a 9 x 13 pan by lining with foil.
- In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, combine butter and sugars and mix until combined. Add egg and egg yolk and vanilla, and mix until combined. Add flour, baking soda, and salt, and mix until just combined.
- Gently fold chocolate chips into the dough. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the caramels and heavy cream, and microwave on high power at twenty second intervals, stirring in between, until melted and smooth.
- Spread half of the cookie mixture in the prepared pan, pushing with your hands to form an even layer. Pour the melted caramel over the top and spread to cover. Sprinkle with sea salt. Top with remaining cookie dough.
- Sprinkle the top with more sea salt. Bake 25-30 minutes or until very lightly golden around the edges.
- Remove from oven and let cool 10-15 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack.
- Cool almost to room temperature before slicing.