C.J. loves chicken salad sandwiches…but he absolutely hates mayonnaise. So, trying to be the best wife possible and make my husband happy I set out on what seemed like an impossible task of finding a chicken salad recipe that was not mayonnaise heavy.
I found some that would have probably worked, but they just didn’t sound great…so I decided to take things into my own hands.
This recipe does contain mayonnaise, but not a lot. It still had that chicken salad flavor/texture, but without a mayonnaise taste.
I chose to use ciabatta dinner rolls as the bread for our sandwiches. Our grocery store has a fantastic bakery and these were the “highlighted” bread. They were delicious and the smaller size of the dinner rolls was nice.
- 1 pound cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup diced apple
- 2/3 cup grapes, halved
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt (I used Siggis)
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice, or more, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 rolls ciabatta bread, toasted, for serving
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, red onion, apple, grapes, dried cranberries or currants, sliced almonds, Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice, garlic powder, salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve sandwiches on ciabatta bread with chicken mixture.