While I was pregnant I could not handle any kind of chocolate. It was slightly tragic. After 9 months of not having chocolate, I have been very excited to bring this magical food back into my diet.
These triple chocolate muffins are fantastic…not super healthy, but very delicious.
Plus-I was able to whip them up while Ollie was napping. Mom win!
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1¼ cups buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a standard muffin tin with paper liners (or spray with non-stick cooking spray).
- Melt the butter and chocolate together in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (or do so in a microwave on 50% power in 30-second increments), until completely melted and smooth. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a large glass measuring cup or a small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, egg and vanilla until well combined. Pour the liquid ingredients and the melted butter and chocolate over the dry ingredients, add the chocolate chips, and with a rubber spatula, gently fold until all ingredients are incorporated. Do not overmix the batter. Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a thin knife inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a rack and cool for 5 minutes before carefully removing each muffin from its mold. Serve warm or at room temperature.